Choosing on the monthly payment alone could leave me paying more through fees or carrying a larger balance after the fixed period. I have a 6.08% five-year fixed quote for a Dublin purchase priced around €542,800, and the lender’s fee structure and loan-to-value band account for part of the gap between the figures shown.
For a like-for-like comparison, should I calculate all payments and fees over five years and then compare the remaining balances? The monthly spread is modest, so I am also checking early-repayment charges and whether the mortgage can be moved to another property. Portability matters only if a move is realistic, though, and I do not want the calculation to depend on being able to refinance on favourable terms after year five.
For a like-for-like comparison, should I calculate all payments and fees over five years and then compare the remaining balances? The monthly spread is modest, so I am also checking early-repayment charges and whether the mortgage can be moved to another property. Portability matters only if a move is realistic, though, and I do not want the calculation to depend on being able to refinance on favourable terms after year five.