Choosing on the headline rate could become expensive if we move sooner than expected. I have a 6.00% quote over 30 years for a Sydney purchase around A$820,800, but the fees and loan-to-value band make it less straightforward than the initial figure suggested.
I plan to ask each lender for an itemised illustration, then compare repayments and charges over several realistic holding periods rather than assuming the loan lasts the full term. For a shorter stay, exit costs and early-repayment conditions may decide it; for a longer stay, the ongoing rate and fees carry more weight. How would others build that comparison, and how much value would you place on portability?
I plan to ask each lender for an itemised illustration, then compare repayments and charges over several realistic holding periods rather than assuming the loan lasts the full term. For a shorter stay, exit costs and early-repayment conditions may decide it; for a longer stay, the ongoing rate and fees carry more weight. How would others build that comparison, and how much value would you place on portability?