The surprising part was that the lower headline rate did not produce the clearly cheaper loan once lender charges and the loan-to-value band were applied. I have been quoted 5.66% on a 15-year fixed mortgage for a New York purchase of about $1,260,000, but the two illustrations use different assumptions.
I want to rebuild the comparison on one basis rather than choose from the advertised figures. Should the main measure be total cash outlay over my expected ownership period, with APR as a check, or interest paid plus the balance still outstanding at the comparison date? Monthly affordability also matters, so I do not want a long-term saving that leaves the payment uncomfortably high.
I’m checking early-repayment provisions and portability as well, because refinancing is possible rather than guaranteed. What loan amount, payoff date and fee treatment would you standardize first?
I want to rebuild the comparison on one basis rather than choose from the advertised figures. Should the main measure be total cash outlay over my expected ownership period, with APR as a check, or interest paid plus the balance still outstanding at the comparison date? Monthly affordability also matters, so I do not want a long-term saving that leaves the payment uncomfortably high.
I’m checking early-repayment provisions and portability as well, because refinancing is possible rather than guaranteed. What loan amount, payoff date and fee treatment would you standardize first?