Comparing a 5.37% one-year fixed mortgage quote in Copenhagen

alba_finance

Buyer
Established
The one-year fixed period is making the headline rate less useful. My specific concern is what the loan could cost by the first reset, rather than whether refinancing might be available then.

The quote is 5.37% for a Copenhagen property priced at about DKK 4,350,000. Fees and the applicable loan-to-value band mean it no longer resembles the lower advertised offer. I am comparing the cash paid through year one alongside APR and monthly payments, then testing a higher rate after the fix ends. I also need to understand portability and early-repayment conditions. If the reset payment remains affordable, the short fix may be workable; if it depends on a future refinance, I would prefer a different structure.
 
For a one-year fix, I’d compare the total cash cost through the first reset date, with every lender using the same loan amount and repayment assumptions. Keep APR beside it, but don’t let a single percentage hide upfront fees. Then run the monthly payment at 5.37% and at a meaningfully higher reset rate. If the higher payment is uncomfortable, possible refinancing doesn’t solve the underlying risk.
 
Is DKK 4,350,000 the purchase price or the amount you need to borrow? Without the deposit and resulting loan-to-value, nobody can tell whether the advertised offer and your quote are genuinely comparable. I’d also ask whether the 5.37% includes all compulsory borrowing costs or is just the interest rate.
 
I slightly disagree with limiting the comparison to the first year. That can make a low headline rate look attractive even if you pay arrangement costs again when refinancing. Ask each lender for two cash-flow illustrations: keeping the loan beyond the fixed period and refinancing after one year. You still cannot predict the future rate, but you can expose which assumptions the broker is relying on. Get the early-repayment and portability wording in writing rather than treating them as general promises.
 
The sold-price history may help you judge the DKK 4,350,000 purchase price, but it won’t by itself settle the mortgage comparison. What matters here is the value used for the loan-to-value tier. Ask whether that value is the agreed purchase price or a separate lender valuation. A small difference there could explain why the advertised rate disappeared.
 
A simple spreadsheet should make this clearer. Use columns for upfront fees, monthly interest, principal repayment, other required charges, balance after 12 months, early-exit cost and the payment after reset under several rate assumptions. Don’t count principal as a financing cost, but do include it when testing monthly affordability. I’d give portability a lower weighting unless moving during the relevant period is a realistic possibility.
 
Agreed that the missing loan amount and deposit are crucial. I’d also ask the broker one very direct question: what happens after month 12 if you do nothing? That answer should show the reset mechanism without assuming a refinance. Compare that outcome with the highest monthly payment your budget can absorb, then use fees and flexibility to choose between otherwise affordable quotes.
 
Back
Top