Comparing a 4.64% 30-year fixed mortgage in Seoul

lookTheRiver

Homeowner
Established
The detailed quote has now arrived, and it raises a different question from the headline rate. For a Seoul purchase of around ₩462,300,000, the lender describes the offer as 4.64% fixed over 30 years. The initial promotion looked cheaper, but the final pricing reflects both the fee structure and the loan-to-value band assigned to me.

Should I rank the offers by APR, interest alone or all payments and fees over the period I am likely to hold the mortgage? I also need to confirm whether the fixed period truly lasts the full term. Portability and early-repayment conditions could matter if I later move or refinance, but I am unsure how much value to place on them now.
 
A 30-year figure can be misleading. My concern is that it assumes the mortgage will remain unchanged for the entire term, even though a move or refinance could bring repayment charges into play much earlier.

I would compare the same loan amount at several plausible exit points, including interest, setup fees and any charge due on repayment at each date. APR is still useful for screening the offers, but the underlying assumptions need to match before it becomes a fair comparison.
 
First confirm that “30 years” describes both the mortgage term and the fixed-rate period. If the rate can reset earlier, that changes the comparison substantially.

What loan-to-value tier were you placed in, and how large is the arrangement fee? I’d also ask for the early-repayment schedule in writing and clarify what portability actually preserves—the rate, the loan balance, or merely the ability to apply for a transfer.
 
The exit-date calculation is useful, but it still does not show whether the monthly payment is comfortable. A loan can be cheaper overall and still leave too little room for maintenance or a change in income.

I would first model identical balances and check the monthly buffer. If that buffer is tight, the lower theoretical cost would not rescue the offer for me. If it is comfortable, then compare the likely exit dates and associated fees. A genuine 30-year fixed rate reduces reset risk; portability and repayment terms deserve more weight only when moving or refinancing is a realistic possibility.
 
Back
Top