Comparing a 4.60% two-year fix on a £436,800 London purchase

jade_details

Property investor
Established
Writing the fees beside the rate has changed which offer appears cheapest. I am a first-time buyer considering a London purchase around £436,800, with a quote of 4.60% fixed for two years. The lower headline figure does not remain the winner once the arrangement charge and loan-to-value band are applied.

For the two-year decision, should I compare lender fees and interest while showing capital repayment separately, then use the monthly instalment as an affordability check? If I am likely to stay with the deal for the full fix, that seems more relevant than a long-term APR. If I might move sooner, early-repayment charges and the exact portability conditions could decide it instead. I am trying not to make a favourable refinance after two years part of the base assumption.
 
For a two-year decision, I’d compare interest plus all lender fees over those two years. Keep capital repayment separate because it reduces what you owe rather than being a financing cost. Then look at the monthly payment independently for affordability. APR is useful context, but it may not match your expected timeline.
 
The missing number is the actual mortgage balance, not the £436,800 purchase price. A fixed arrangement fee has a very different impact at different loan sizes. Also, is the fee being paid upfront or added to the mortgage? If it is added, it can affect both the balance and interest.
 
I wouldn’t choose solely on APR when the fixed period is only two years. That figure reflects assumptions extending beyond the initial deal, whereas you may refinance when the fix ends. I’d compare identical loan amounts and terms over the first two years, then separately consider what happens if refinancing is unattractive.
 
Exactly. Without Zoe’s deposit and resulting loan-to-value tier, nobody can tell whether the lower advertised rate was ever available for this case. I’d request illustrations using the same mortgage amount, repayment term and fee treatment. Otherwise the comparison can look precise while mixing different assumptions.
 
Small caveat to Aya’s point: don’t demote APR so far that the two-year spreadsheet becomes the whole decision. Comparing only the fixed period assumes you can or will refinance on schedule. Run another scenario where you remain with the lender after the fix, even if the future rate is currently unknown.
 
There are really two tests. One is cost: interest and fees over the comparison period. The other is resilience: whether the monthly payment is comfortable now and after a possible rate reset. The cheapest two-year option is not automatically suitable if it leaves no room in the monthly budget.
 
How likely are you to move during those two years? If it is a real possibility, ask for the exact early-repayment conditions and what “portable” requires under this particular offer. I wouldn’t assign portability much value until the lender explains how it would apply to another property and mortgage amount.
 
Thanks all. I was mistakenly treating the purchase price as enough information for comparison, when the mortgage balance and loan-to-value tier are what matter. I’m now asking for side-by-side illustrations with the same balance and term, with the fee shown both upfront and added. I’ll compare the first two years but also include a rate-reset scenario and clarify the portability conditions.
 
A simple table should make this manageable: cash needed at completion, monthly payment, total payments during the fix, interest charged, fees, and balance remaining at the end. Add separate columns for moving during the fix and staying beyond it. That prevents one attractive headline number from hiding a weaker outcome elsewhere.
 
One accounting trap in that table: total payments are not the same as total cost. Subtract the reduction in mortgage balance to isolate the financing element, then include relevant fees. If a fee is added to the mortgage, make sure you do not count it once in the balance and again as an upfront payment.
 
I’d also calculate the break-even point between the higher-fee/lower-rate offer and the lower-fee/higher-rate one. You don’t need to predict the entire mortgage term; just identify how long it takes for the monthly saving to recover the extra fee. If that is longer than your likely time on the deal, the fee is difficult to justify.
 
And keep upfront affordability visible. Two offers can have similar two-year financing costs while requiring different cash at completion. For a first purchase, preserving cash may matter even if paying a fee upfront is marginally cheaper than adding it to the loan. That is a budget trade-off, not just a rate comparison.
 
Two years is the condition that should drive the main comparison. Put each quote on the same mortgage balance, term and repayment basis, then show interest and fees over that period alongside the monthly payment and balance still owed.

Keep cash needed at completion visible rather than burying it in the total. After that, run a separate early-exit version using the applicable repayment charge and stated portability terms. APR and uncertainty after the fix still matter, but they are longer-term risks; they should not distort the answer to which offer works best for the first two years.
 
Back
Top