Comparing a 3.96% 30-year mortgage quote in Doha

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
I would prefer the certainty of a genuinely fixed 30-year loan, but the quote leaves enough ambiguity that I do not yet know what is being offered. It shows 3.96% for a Doha property costing about QAR 1,110,000, while fees and the relevant LTV band make it less straightforward than the initial rate suggested.

My plan is to compare the money paid over several possible holding periods, including upfront charges and any cost of leaving early, while checking the monthly payment separately. I also need the written meaning of portability and “fixed for 30 years.” If the rate lasts for the whole term, a later refinance is optional; if it resets earlier, the post-reset payment has to be part of the decision.
 
I understand why the 3.96% headline is the starting point, but it cannot answer the question on its own. Price each offer at an early exit date, a likely holding period and the full contractual term, using the same loan amount and assumptions. Add interest, initial charges and whatever repayment or refinancing cost applies at each date.

APR is then a useful cross-check rather than the deciding number. The lender's illustration should show whether its calculation matches the others, while a separate monthly-payment test tells you whether the loan is affordable without a future refinance.
 
Is QAR 1,110,000 the purchase price or the amount being borrowed? Without the actual loan amount and loan-to-value tier, the fee and interest comparisons may be misleading. I would also confirm what “fixed for 30 years” means in the written terms. Is the rate genuinely unchanged for the full term, or is 30 years merely the repayment term?
 
That distinction matters. If the fixed period is shorter than the 30-year repayment term, then the comparison needs a rate-reset scenario as well. If it really is fixed for all 30 years, refinancing is an option rather than something needed to escape a reset.
 
A simple spreadsheet would make this clearer: amount borrowed, monthly payment, upfront fees, balance remaining at selected dates, and the cost of exiting on those dates. Run the same dates for every lender. That prevents a lower advertised rate from winning merely because some of its cost has been moved into fees.
 
Portability also needs more than a yes/no answer. Ask what happens if the next property costs less, requires a different loan-to-value, or does not meet the lender’s requirements. A portable mortgage may still involve approval conditions, so I would not assign it much value until the practical limits are clear.
 
I agree with not relying on the broker’s refinancing prediction. Model the quote as though you keep it under its current terms. Then treat a future refinance as a possible upside, after allowing for whatever exit and new arrangement costs apply at that time.
 
One caveat to the multi-period comparison: first establish whether 3.96% is fixed for the entire 30 years. If it is, the main uncertainty is how long you keep the loan and what early repayment costs apply. If it is not, the post-reset rate assumptions could outweigh relatively small differences in arrangement fees.
 
Choosing on one percentage could leave you short of cash at completion even when the regular instalment is comfortable. The opposite can happen too: the deposit and fees may be manageable while the ongoing payment leaves too little room each month.

I would keep those tests separate from the holding-period comparison. First establish the full amount needed to complete and the reserve left afterward; then test the recurring payment on the written loan terms. The cash committed at completion is the harder part to undo, so it should not be hidden inside an APR or long-run total.
 
I would not optimise only for the expected holding period. Plans change, and the cheapest five-year outcome may be poor if you remain for 15 years. Compare an early exit, your likely period, and the full contractual term. That gives portability and early-repayment language a sensible place in the decision without pretending you can predict the refinance market.
 
The practical shortlist is becoming: confirm the borrowed amount and loan-to-value tier; verify whether “fixed” covers all 30 years; obtain every upfront and exit cost; compare cash totals at several dates; and test the monthly payment independently. I would ask each lender the same questions in writing, because labels such as APR and portability may not capture identical assumptions.
 
Thanks all. The QAR 1,110,000 figure is the property price, so I agree that I need to keep that separate from the eventual loan amount and loan-to-value tier. I have asked for written clarification on whether 3.96% is fixed for the full 30 years, plus the early-repayment and portability conditions. I will compare several holding periods and exclude any assumed refinancing savings from the base case.
 
Back
Top