Closing-cost checklist for a ₩1,552,000,000 Seoul retail unit

lookTheRiver

Homeowner
Established
At roughly ₩1,552,000,000, even modest omissions could materially change the cost of this Seoul retail-unit purchase. My preliminary list covers taxes on the transfer, registration, professional work and notary-related expenses, but I have not chosen between personal ownership and another structure.

If the structure remains undecided, I plan to request separate itemised estimates for each realistic route. Once it is chosen, I’ll ask a licensed local adviser to confirm the effect of residency, future capital gains, inheritance planning and annual property charges. What recurring costs or transaction disbursements are most often missing from an initial quotation?
 
One clarification: I have not yet settled whether ownership would be personal or through another structure, and I realise that may change the whole comparison. I’d especially like to know what residency and ownership facts an adviser needs before giving a meaningful estimate rather than a generic percentage.
 
Start by asking for two itemised projections, one for each ownership route you are genuinely considering. Each should separate government charges, registration, professional fees, and miscellaneous disbursements rather than giving one “closing costs” figure.

Has the seller or agent provided the unit’s recent annual property-charge records? Those won’t settle your future liability, but they give the adviser something concrete to explain.
 
I’d be careful about treating the cheaper closing projection as the answer. A structure that looks attractive on purchase may be less suitable during ownership, on sale, or if the property passes through an estate.

Ask for the same comparison at four points: acquisition, annual holding, disposal and inheritance. For capital gains, have the adviser state the assumed residency and holding circumstances in writing, because otherwise two estimates may be answering different questions.
 
The previous annual bills are useful, but I wouldn’t build the budget from them alone. They reflect the seller’s circumstances and the relevant assessment period, not necessarily yours. I’d ask which charges attach to the property, which depend on the owner or structure, and when each is normally billed. Also confirm whether the quoted notary or legal fee already includes registration work.
 
To make that practical, send the local professional a one-page fact sheet: agreed price, retail use, intended owner, residency position, expected holding period, financing if any, and what should happen on death. Then request a written table showing the amount or calculation basis, payer, payment date, and whether each item is one-off or recurring.

That should expose overlaps and assumptions much faster than collecting isolated percentages from different people.
 
Back
Top