Closed on a Montreal coastal home after several rejected offers

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
During this purchase, neither chasing every document myself nor assuming somebody else had it covered felt workable. We have now completed on the coastal home in Montreal, following several unsuccessful offers and a longer document stage than anticipated.

The narrow compromise I would use next time is a shared list naming the person responsible for each item, especially during the final week when lender timing, signatures and funds have to line up. I would also retain more cash after completion for vacancy and repairs. Earlier offers gave us some pricing context, although I am unsure how much weight they deserve when seller priorities and conditions can differ. What practical lesson from a first completion was missing from the usual beginner advice?
 
The final document week is often treated as administration, but it can affect everything else. Lender timing, signatures, money transfers and moving arrangements all depend on one another. I’d keep a simple list showing the task, person responsible and deadline, then confirm each item rather than assuming someone else has it covered.
 
I agree about clear responsibility, but I wouldn’t treat rejected offers as reliable pricing data without context. One may fail because of conditions, timing or the seller’s priorities rather than price. Did the inspection reveal anything that changed how much cash you kept back? That seems more useful for setting a repair reserve than the offer history alone.
 
Unexpected fees are the part many basic guides underplay. Before committing the remaining cash to furniture or improvements, separate the known closing and moving costs from a reserve for inspection findings and early repairs. Also avoid scheduling the move so tightly that a lender or document delay leaves no room to adjust.
 
Back
Top