Choosing fairly between mixed tenant applications in São Paulo

I may be too close to this to judge clearly. I’m reviewing applicants for a 4-bed detached home in São Paulo, and the strongest income, references and credit history belong to different people. I need to decide soon without changing the rules to favour whichever application feels safest.

What objective criteria are genuinely useful for payment reliability and tenant retention? I’m also wondering whether some standard income or credit cut-offs create confidence without predicting much. I want a consistent, lawful process that accounts for market rent, likely vacancy time and turnover cost.
 
Set the method before looking at the names again. I’d separate minimum requirements from comparative factors: verified ability to meet the rent, consistency of payment history, confirmable references, and whether the proposed tenancy fits the home. Apply the same evidence standard to everyone.

A high income shouldn’t automatically outweigh unexplained missed payments. Equally, a thin credit history isn’t the same as a bad one.
 
What exactly is inconsistent about the income evidence? Variable or informal earnings need a different assessment from income that simply cannot be verified. Also, is the asking rent aligned with the current market? If it is stretching every applicant, the screening problem may partly be a pricing problem.
 
I’d be cautious with a rigid rent-to-income ratio. It is easy to administer, but it can exclude someone with stable payment habits and low obligations while favouring someone earning more but managing money poorly.

Retention matters too. A tenant who can comfortably afford the home and appears likely to stay may be worth more than a marginally stronger file followed by another vacancy and turnover.
 
References can also give false confidence because applicants naturally provide friendly contacts. Ask every referee the same concrete questions: tenancy dates, whether rent was paid as agreed, whether there were unresolved property-care issues, and whether the tenancy ended with money outstanding. Keep opinion-based questions out of the scoring and distinguish “not confirmed” from an actual negative answer.
 
Oscar’s split between minimums and comparisons is the cleanest approach. I’d add a written tie-break rule now—perhaps the first complete application that meets all published requirements—rather than inventing one after seeing the results.

Keep a short record of what evidence supported the decision. For São Paulo-specific legality, notice requirements and deposit handling, confirm the process locally; those issues shouldn’t be improvised as extra screening hurdles.
 
Don’t let the deadline merge screening with move-in protection. Maintenance history, a clear condition record and agreed reporting arrangements are useful, but they don’t prove that one applicant will pay more reliably than another. Handle those consistently after selection.

Waiting for a supposedly perfect applicant also has a cost: more vacancy, without any guarantee that the next file will be clearer.
 
I’d reduce this to three steps: confirm the rent is realistic, test each applicant against identical minimum evidence, then use only preselected tie-break factors. Where information conflicts, record whether it is negative, merely incomplete, or reasonably explained. Those are different things.

Before offering the tenancy, have the proposed lease, notice approach and deposit arrangements checked for the applicable Brazilian and local requirements. That gives you a defensible process without pretending screening can remove all risk.
 
Back
Top