Choosing between a 120 m² Madrid apartment and student housing

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
A 120 m² Madrid apartment looks easier to run but may hide shared-building costs. Similarly priced student housing could spread income across occupiers, yet turnover, utilities and day-to-day coordination make me uneasy.

I am comparing transaction expenses, insurance, energy use and eventual resale demand. For the apartment, I need to understand community charges, reserve levels and possible building works. For the student option, I need realistic vacancy, furnishing and management assumptions. What information would make you choose one branch over the other, and which expenses commonly emerge only after the first year?
 
The apartment is probably simpler operationally, but do not treat it as predictable: community charges and unexpected building works can upset the budget. Student housing adds more frequent turnover, room-by-room wear, furnishing replacement and potentially higher energy exposure if utilities are included. I’d model both routine annual costs and a separate reserve for irregular work rather than comparing only expected yield.
 
What exactly does “student housing” mean here: a whole building, several rooms in one dwelling, or a unit within a managed development? That changes how much control you really have, who pays for common areas and how broad the resale market may be. Also compare lease structure and summer vacancy assumptions rather than relying on general student demand.
 
Neither option offers simple control. One apartment means fewer occupants to manage, but a single building assessment can create a large bill; student housing spreads occupancy while multiplying handovers, repairs and utility decisions.

I would compare the recent building-cost record for both properties, then define exactly what insurance and management cover. For the student option, include a room sitting empty while still consuming time and common-area energy. For the apartment, test an unexpected shared repair. The more suitable purchase is likely the one whose difficult year you can fund without depending on a quick resale.
 
Back
Top