Chicago first-time buyer: is a $32,000 post-closing buffer enough?

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
A $32,000 balance after closing sounds workable. My concern is how quickly scheduled building costs and one unexpected repair could reduce it.

I am looking at a 1-bed new-build flat in Chicago for about $875,000, and the regular monthly payment fits my budget. Before committing, how much would you protect as an emergency fund after allowing for moving, the first payments, service charges and inspection items? Furniture can wait, but I am trying to judge whether buying below my ceiling would leave a meaningfully safer cushion.
 
I’d protect the emergency fund first and treat furniture as optional. Before deciding whether $32,000 is comfortable, subtract moving costs, the first mortgage payment, insurance costs and any building service charges due soon after closing. Then reserve a separate amount for inspection findings. A new build may need only ordinary fixes, but “new” doesn’t mean nothing will need attention.
 
What does the $32,000 estimate exclude? In particular, have you confirmed the insurance excess, when the first mortgage payment falls, and whether any building charges are collected in advance? Those timing details can make a healthy-looking balance shrink quickly.

I’d also avoid allocating money to furniture before the inspection. Existing furniture and a partly empty flat are inconvenient; having no repair reserve is worse.
 
I’m slightly less comfortable than ellak with treating this mainly as a budgeting exercise. Relative to an $875,000 purchase, $32,000 does not leave much room if the closing estimate moves or several first-year costs arrive together.

Get firm moving quotes, list every payment due through the first couple of months, and separate genuine emergencies from cosmetic work. If that leaves an emergency fund you consider too small, buying below the maximum is the sensible answer—not trying to make the furniture budget absorb the risk.
 
Back
Top