Chicago first-time buyer: is $37,000 enough cash to keep after closing?

lina_brooks

First-time buyer
The cash left after closing is my limiting factor. After 101 days of planning and searching, I am looking at a four-bedroom country home around Chicago for roughly $605,000, with an estimated $37,000 remaining once the deposit and projected closing costs are paid.

That sounds adequate until I account for the expenses arriving soon after possession. An inspection may identify work that cannot wait, while moving, insurance deductibles, possible service charges and the first mortgage payment all have their own timing. Furnishing four bedrooms could consume money quickly but is clearly less urgent.

What information would you use to decide whether this buffer is comfortable? I am thinking of ring-fencing essential household expenses first, then setting limits for the move and early repairs while leaving furniture until later.
 
I’d start with the emergency fund rather than dividing the $37,000 evenly. Ring-fence enough to cover several months of essential spending, including the new mortgage, and treat that amount as unavailable for furniture.

Then reserve moving money and a separate repair pot. Furniture can come last and be bought room by room. A 4-bed house does not need to look finished on move-in day.
 
Does the $37,000 figure already account for prepaid insurance, taxes or anything else your closing estimate requires? Also, what are your essential monthly expenses after buying? The same cash balance can be comfortable for one household and thin for another, so that monthly number matters more than the headline amount.
 
I’d also avoid labeling all inspection findings “immediate repairs.” Ask which items affect safety, water intrusion or essential systems, which should be addressed within a year, and which are merely maintenance or cosmetic. That distinction will tell you whether $37,000 is a real buffer or money that is already spoken for.
 
I agree on delaying decorative purchases, but I wouldn’t put furniture at absolute zero. Moving into a larger place can create a few practical needs immediately. Make a short list of essentials, set a firm cap, and leave spare bedrooms unfinished.

Also confirm whether “service charges” actually apply to this property. If they do, add them to recurring expenses rather than paying them from the repair fund.
 
One more caution: don’t count on the first mortgage payment being delayed in a way that creates spare cash. Ask the lender or closing contact for the exact payment date and amount, then keep it in the account from day one. I’d do the same with the insurance deductible—know the figure and make sure an ordinary repair cannot consume the money reserved for a claim.
 
This helps. I was mentally treating the full $37,000 as one flexible pot, which made the purchase feel safer than it may be. I’m going to separate it into protected emergency savings, known move/closing items and inspection-led repairs. Furniture will be limited to what is genuinely needed at first. I’ll also confirm the first payment date and what the estimate includes before deciding whether $605,000 is still comfortable.
 
Before making that final decision, price the move and obtain rough quotes for any inspection items that concern you rather than guessing. Then run a bad-month scenario: mortgage due, an essential repair and an insurance deductible at the same time. If that would force you into debt, the lower purchase price is probably buying you something valuable—room to absorb surprises.
 
Back
Top