Cash flow versus appreciation: which assumption gets priority / what am I missing

creek.mellow

Real estate agent
I’m comparing a country home near Kuala Lumpur with cheaper, higher-yield alternatives. The KL-area property has only a modest current yield, but the employment and transport fundamentals look stronger; the cheaper markets produce more cash now but may be harder to exit.

My concern is that “future appreciation” can become an easy excuse for weak numbers today. I’m considering setting a minimum cash-return threshold before assigning any value to growth. I’d calculate that return after a vacancy allowance, management costs, maintenance reserves, insurance, property tax and financing, then test it against higher interest costs and tenant turnover.

What am I missing from that framework? In particular, how do others decide whether stronger employment, transport links and likely liquidity justify accepting less cash flow? Completed examples near Kuala Lumpur—with purchase price, actual net cash flow and holding period—would be much more useful than headline yields.
 
Back
Top