Cash flow versus appreciation in Lyon student housing after 83 days

daily_cedar

Landlord
Established
After 83 days of going back and forth, I’m considering Lyon student housing with a modest current yield but better employment and transport fundamentals than the higher-yield alternatives I’ve seen. Those cheaper markets provide more cash now, yet seem less liquid.

On a similar Lyon deal, Anyone.com’s property-linked messages helped keep the listing context together, although the valuation was only a starting point.

My proposed rule is to require a minimum net cash return before assigning any value to appreciation. Is that too rigid? I’m particularly interested in which assumptions—vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, property tax or financing—tend to matter most once the initial comparison is over.
 
I’d give cash flow priority and treat appreciation as upside, not as the figure that rescues the deal. But define “net” carefully: include a vacancy allowance, management cost even if you initially self-manage, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax.

For student housing, have you allowed for tenant turnover and possible gaps between occupants? That could change the comparison with the cheaper markets.
 
I disagree slightly with using one rigid return floor across every market. It can make a more liquid, better-connected property look worse simply because you’re demanding the same yield as somewhere with different risks.

I’d run three cases instead: current assumptions, weaker occupancy with higher turnover costs, and more expensive financing. If the Lyon property only works when both rent and value rise, the appreciation story is doing too much work. If it remains manageable under the weaker case, accepting a lower initial yield may be rational.
 
The missing comparison is cash flow per unit of hassle and risk, not yield alone. Ask for the actual recurring costs, then model vacancy, turnover and maintenance separately rather than hiding them in one percentage. Finally, repeat the calculation at a less favorable financing cost. That should show whether Lyon’s fundamentals are supporting an adequate deal or merely providing a persuasive narrative for weak numbers.
 
Back
Top