Cape Town rental: ZAR 20,840,000 purchase at ZAR 69,800/month

lens.wise

Real estate agent
The 4.0% gross yield looks thin once ownership costs enter the picture, and tenant turnover is my main concern. The property is a 4-bed Cape Town condo priced at ZAR 20,840,000, with projected rent of ZAR 69,800 a month.

I have allowed for vacant periods, management fees, ordinary upkeep and a substantial repair, while assuming no appreciation. I still need to understand the likely insurance, property tax and building charges, including any exceptional levies. How would you stress-test the lease length and reletting costs, and what net return would make this worthwhile?
 
At only 4.0% gross, the deductions do not have much room to breathe. I would focus first on the condo’s regular building levies and the possibility of additional levies, then property tax and insurance. Even a reasonably occupied unit could produce an unappealing net yield once those are included. I’d want a materially lower price or higher proven rent rather than relying on appreciation.
 
Is ZAR 69,800 an actual signed rent, a current asking rent, or an agent’s estimate? Also, does it include any parking, furnishings or utilities? Those details matter for both achievable rent and turnover costs. I’d ask for the building’s recent levy history, planned major works and the current property-tax amount before choosing a target net yield.
 
The borrowing assumptions are what changed my view of this deal. Building levies matter, but with such a narrow starting yield, debt costs could have a much larger effect.

If it is a cash purchase, test the operating return after the charges and turnover costs already mentioned. If financing is involved, add a longer vacancy, unchanged rent and higher borrowing costs. Should the deal only work with appreciation after that, the problem is the purchase yield rather than the lease term.
 
Back
Top