Cape Town first-time buyer: is ZAR 746,200 enough cash after closing?

bikesAndEcho

Homeowner
Established
ZAR 746,200 is the amount I expect to retain after the deposit and current closing-cost estimate. The purchase would be a 5-bed Cape Town villa priced at about ZAR 15,380,000, and I am unsure whether that remaining cash provides enough breathing room for the first year.

Some inspection findings are likely, even if they are routine rather than urgent. What portion would you protect for essential household expenses and the insurance excess before setting aside money for moving and repairs? Furniture can wait, but I do not want to discover that rough closing figures or several early bills have already consumed the reserve.
 
I would divide it in that order, not evenly. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your essential monthly spending, including the mortgage. Then reserve the moving costs, insurance excess and any known service charges. Inspection items come next. Furniture should get whatever remains and can be bought gradually; a 5-bed property does not need every room finished on day one.
 
Is the ZAR 746,200 figure after firm closing estimates, or are some still rough allowances? Also, do you know when the first mortgage payment, insurance premium and any service charges become due? The total buffer matters, but the first couple of months can be unusually cash-heavy even without a serious repair.
 
I think the buffer sounds thin relative to the size and price of the property. That does not mean the purchase is unaffordable, but a 5-bed villa can turn several “ordinary” jobs into a meaningful bill simply because there is more building to maintain. I would not count furniture money as part of the safety cushion at all. If the emergency reserve only works by assuming the inspection is clean, I’d look below the maximum.
 
Nina’s caveat is fair, although I would wait for the inspection before deciding the number is automatically too low. Separate findings into urgent safety or weatherproofing work, work needed within the first year, and cosmetic items. Only the first category needs cash immediately. The rest can be scheduled, and furniture can be limited to the rooms you will actually use.
 
One more practical step: make a month-by-month cash-flow list from closing through the first mortgage payment rather than treating ZAR 746,200 as one pot. Put moving, insurance, service charges and likely repair timing against actual months. That will show whether the problem is the overall reserve or simply several bills landing together.
 
I’d use a waterfall rather than fixed percentages:

1. Untouchable emergency savings covering essential household costs. 2. Known purchase-related payments not already included in the closing estimate. 3. Moving, insurance excess and a contingency for urgent inspection findings. 4. First-year maintenance that can be planned. 5. Furniture and cosmetic work.

If the money runs out at step three, that is useful information: the property price is probably leaving too little flexibility. If it reaches step five, furnish slowly rather than shrinking the emergency fund.
 
The inspection should change the decision, not merely the repair allocation. Ask for costs on the significant findings before committing your whole buffer. A long list of minor defects may still be manageable, but several time-sensitive items can compete with the first mortgage payment and moving costs. Keep some cash unassigned even after budgeting the visible work; inspections cannot identify every future expense.
 
Lara, once you have the inspection and firmer closing figures, try this decision rule: after paying for the move and genuinely urgent work, would you still have the emergency fund you wanted before seeing this villa? If not, buying slightly cheaper is probably the cleaner answer. I would avoid justifying the price by postponing insurance, underfunding the mortgage reserve or assuming there will be no surprises.
 
Back
Top