Cap the appraisal gap or reduce a CLP 197.4m offer in Santiago?

rowan.zane

First-time buyer
Founding Member
I’d like to make a competitive bid without accepting more cash exposure than I can carry. The price being sought is close to CLP 197,400,000, while the strongest completed comparables I have found around Santiago appear lower and there may be competing bids.

My possible approaches are a lower headline bid, a full valuation condition, or a bid near the requested figure with the appraisal difference capped at CLP 7,050,000. Inspection and financing protection also matter, and I would want any repair credit handled separately rather than traded away for the higher price.

The response deadline is approaching. Before choosing, should I focus first on how the lender calculates the loan after a low valuation, the seller’s reason for moving quickly, or whether the property is occupied under a rental arrangement?
 
I would not promise an open-ended gap. If CLP 7,050,000 is genuinely the most extra cash you can contribute, state that as a hard cap and keep inspection and financing protections distinct. A high headline offer is meaningless if the resulting cash requirement prevents completion.
 
What is still missing is how the lender’s valuation affects the amount it will finance. A CLP 7,050,000 gap clause may not describe your total cash exposure if the loan amount also changes.

Also ask whether the property is occupied or subject to any rental arrangement. “Rental regulation” is too broad to price without knowing why it is relevant here.
 
I disagree slightly with leading at CLP 197,400,000 just because the gap is capped. The cap protects financing, but it does not make weak comparables stronger. I’d lower the headline offer unless the property has features the completed examples genuinely lack.
 
Write out three outcomes before submitting: valuation supports the price, valuation is short by less than CLP 7,050,000, and valuation is short by more. For each, note required cash, whether you can withdraw, and what happens to the deposit. Any unclear box is a reason to revise the wording.
 
How tight is the response deadline? Enough time to ask why the seller is moving and whether price matters more than certainty or timing?
 
That seller-motivation question matters. Financing proof could make a capped offer look more credible without increasing the cap. I would provide only whatever evidence is customary and appropriate, but the basic message is useful: financing is arranged, cash is available up to a defined limit, and the offer can proceed on the stated timeline.
 
Inspection is another possible cash leak. If defects appear, does requesting repair credits affect the valuation-gap commitment, or can you still renegotiate? Those should not become one blended pool of money.
 
Yes, and the exact interaction depends on the contract wording used in Chile. I would not assume that a financing condition, valuation cap and inspection condition automatically operate independently. Have the deposit consequences explained for each failure scenario before signing.
 
This helps. CLP 7,050,000 is my absolute ceiling, not an amount I’m comfortable spending automatically. I’m going to treat it as a maximum tied to the completed valuation, keep inspection separate, and ask directly about occupancy, seller priorities and deposit treatment. If those answers remain vague by the deadline, I’ll reduce the headline offer rather than remove protections.
 
That distinction—ceiling rather than automatic payment—needs to be unmistakable. Otherwise the seller may read the offer as CLP 197,400,000 plus another CLP 7,050,000 rather than as limited protection against a valuation shortfall.
 
I’d also rank the completed comparables by similarity, not merely distance. Condition, usable space and obvious property differences may explain some variation. If none supports the offer even after reasonable adjustments, the valuation issue is warning you about price, not just financing.
 
Agreed, although I would avoid doing informal “adjustments” that create a preferred number. Use them to explain clear differences, then let the lender’s valuation stand on its own. The clean practical move is still: defined gap, defined exit above it, and no ambiguity about the deposit.
 
One negotiating option is to keep the stronger price but avoid promising repair credits in advance. Inspection first, then decide whether a defect warrants renegotiation. You do not want to spend the same limited cash twice—once covering the appraisal gap and again fixing an issue discovered later.
 
On the rental-regulation point, don’t mix it into the appraisal question unless the property is actually occupied or the intended use makes it relevant. First establish the occupancy and tenancy facts. Any legal effect is jurisdiction- and fact-specific, so vague concern alone should not justify paying above completed comparables.
 
Your revised approach sounds proportionate: offer only what the property supports for you, cap the gap at CLP 7,050,000, preserve inspection and financing routes, and confirm deposit exposure in writing. If the seller rejects those limits, that is information—not a reason to create an unaffordable winning bid.
 
Back
Top