Can Funda be relied on when comparing Cape Town retail units?

MaraSage

Buyer
Established
I’m assessing Funda for a retail-unit search around Cape Town, South Africa. The coverage looks useful, and days-on-market is the field I value most, but duplicate adverts, stale status and inconsistent floor-area figures make comparison difficult. I also cannot always tell how recently a listing was verified or what happens after an enquiry. Are the mobile filters and saved-search alerts dependable, and what details should be confirmed directly with the advertiser?
 
I would treat days-on-market as a clue rather than a clean comparison. A duplicated unit may have been uploaded on different dates, so the shorter figure can be misleading. Match listings by address, photographs, asking price and floor area first. If the map pin is approximate, confirm the actual street location before judging foot traffic or nearby competition.
 
What do the floor-area fields actually represent in these adverts—total floor space, usable retail space, or something else? That distinction could explain some apparent inconsistencies. It would also help to know whether the stale listings remain visible after an advertiser has said the unit is unavailable, or whether they merely look old because no fresh verification date is shown.
 
I would not assume every duplicate is a portal-control failure. The same premises may be advertised by more than one party or in different configurations. Removing all similar entries could hide a legitimate distinction. The better fix would be clearer unit identifiers, freshness dates and price history, with any sold-record link tied to the exact property rather than just the surrounding area.
 
For a practical shortlist, keep one row per physical unit and record each advert’s link, stated area, price, days-on-market and advertiser. Flag conflicting details instead of choosing one version. Then ask the advertiser to confirm availability, the precise area basis, exact location and next transaction step. On mobile, test whether those fields survive your filters and whether saved-search alerts bring back the duplicates you already excluded.
 
Back
Top