Calgary snapshot: prices up 0.6%, but what is the sample missing?

MinaGale

First-time buyer
Established
The Calgary figures look mildly positive, but the composition of the sample worries me. It covers villas advertised from C$361,800 to C$542,700, shows movement of about 0.6%, and has a median marketing period close to 86 days. Differences in condition make those headline numbers unstable.

I initially focused on whether property tax was giving buyers leverage. On reflection, the larger issue may be whether higher carrying costs cause a lower offer or simply send the buyer to another neighbourhood. I also have far more asking information than completed-sale evidence.

Would you separate properties by tight neighbourhood boundaries, then record price cuts, withdrawals and apparent seller motivation? That seems more useful than treating every active listing as equal, especially if unsold homes are dominating the sample.
 
Buyers are unlikely to negotiate the property tax itself; they may use the overall carrying cost to justify a lower offer or reject the property. I would focus first on completed sales and price-cut timing. An 86-day listing that was reduced recently tells a different story from one sitting unchanged with an unmotivated seller.
 
How tightly did you draw the neighbourhood boundaries? At this price range, combining nearby areas can make +0.6% look more meaningful than it is. I would also separate active listings from withdrawn stock and note how much new-listing volume arrived during those 86 days. Otherwise the sample may mostly reflect homes that failed to sell.
 
I partly disagree that tax is only a secondary issue. Buyers with tight financing may react strongly to any recurring cost, even if the formal negotiation is still about price.

For the next pass, match each completed sale to condition, neighbourhood and original asking price, then flag reductions and withdrawals separately. Seller motivation may explain more than the headline movement.
 
Back
Top