Calgary agent looking to compare Canadian market data

WildPorch

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
I have recently started separating studio activity from the broader Calgary figures, which has raised a new question about how people compare Canadian markets without mixing unlike properties. I am a Calgary real estate agent, and my notes currently focus on transaction costs and the difference between asking figures and completed deals.

Would a newcomer be better served by starting with publications from the local board and building comparable worksheets, or by joining a market-data discussion first? I am also interested in where renovation and property-management assumptions belong, as opposed to material aimed mainly at first purchasers.
 
I’d start with the local board’s published market data, then keep a separate worksheet for completed prices and transaction costs. Otherwise listing activity can get mixed up with actual outcomes. Are you mainly trying to advise first purchasers, or build investment models? That choice would change whether mortgage comparisons or property-management costs deserve your attention next.
 
I’d be cautious about comparing headline numbers between Calgary and another city before matching the property type and time period. A studio condo can tell a very different story from the wider property market, and advertised prices are not a substitute for completed transactions.

For investment work, I’d add renovation assumptions and ongoing management costs. For first purchases, financing and legal checklists may be more useful.
 
A practical approach is to take a small group of comparable studios and record the advertised price, completed price where available, timeline, estimated transaction costs, mortgage scenario, renovation allowance, and management assumption. Keep city-specific legal items separate, since those do not always transfer cleanly between jurisdictions. That gives you a repeatable comparison rather than one broad national figure.
 
Back
Top