First-time buyer here, comparing a 2,480 sq ft studio with a similarly priced duplex in Calgary. The studio appears simpler to maintain, while the duplex offers more control but could leave me carrying larger, irregular repair bills.
I’m trying to model insurance, energy use, local supply, tenant demand and resale liquidity. For a shared building I’d also need to understand the reserves and my exposure to major work. What costs or management demands tend to become apparent only after the first year? Nothing looks disastrous by itself; it’s the accumulation of loose ends that concerns me.
I’m trying to model insurance, energy use, local supply, tenant demand and resale liquidity. For a shared building I’d also need to understand the reserves and my exposure to major work. What costs or management demands tend to become apparent only after the first year? Nothing looks disastrous by itself; it’s the accumulation of loose ends that concerns me.