Cairo property transactions: where do the surprises usually appear?

RealMoss

First-time buyer
Established
I work around the Cairo property market, and a recurring problem is that people agree on a headline price before aligning the assumptions behind it: occupancy, lease length, financing timing, document availability and who each professional represents.

I’m opening a practical Q&A on those points. Please include the jurisdiction, property type and whether this is a purchase, sale or lease. I can discuss pricing evidence, negotiation and coordination from a market perspective, while separating that from legal, lending, tax or other regulated advice. Questions about document ownership and possible conflicts between participants are also welcome.
 
Cairo, resale apartment, purchase. If two units are in the same district but one has an existing long lease, how should a buyer compare their prices? Sellers tend to point to other asking prices, but those do not show what actually completed. Would an appraiser assess the effect of the lease, or is its enforceability entirely outside the appraisal scope?
 
My question is about financing timing. Suppose the buyer is based in Dubai but purchasing an apartment in Cairo with finance. Is it sensible to negotiate the price first and then approach the lender, or should the buyer establish the lender’s likely timeline before making a serious offer? I would also want to know who is responsible for warning the buyer if an adviser receives payment from another participant.
 
Adding to mariad23’s example, I would not automatically treat the leased unit as the cheaper choice. The missing fact is the buyer’s intended use. Someone seeking vacant possession may view the lease very differently from someone deliberately buying an occupied property. The lease terms need separate examination before any price adjustment is treated as meaningful.
 
I’d go further: financing timing is not the first thing to map if nobody can say which documents exist, who holds them and who is authorised to release them. A lender timetable built on assumed paperwork may be misleading.

Before negotiating deeply, I’d ask for a written inventory of the available property and lease documents, then list every participant, who appointed them and who pays them. That does not resolve a conflict, but it makes one easier to spot.
 
These examples show why the assumptions need to be written down early.

For the two Cairo apartments, I would start with evidence from genuinely comparable transactions where available, not asking prices alone. Then I’d account for differences such as condition, occupancy, lease duration and the rights the buyer expects to receive. An appraiser can explain how stated assumptions affect the valuation; determining what a lease legally permits or whether it is enforceable belongs with an appropriately qualified local adviser.

On financing, establish the lender’s requirements and likely timing before making commitments that depend on funding. Work backwards from the proposed transaction date, identify which documents must be available, and note anything controlled by another party. Grace’s written inventory is a sensible practical step.

For conflicts, ask each participant directly whom they represent, how they are paid and whether they have any relationship with another party. If the answer affects your decision, get it recorded clearly rather than relying on an informal conversation.
 
Back
Top