Cairo detached home: structuring a 7% below-asking offer

HonestTable

Real estate agent
I’m considering a three-bedroom detached home in Cairo listed at EGP 65,520,000. It has been available for 111 days and needs updating. Nearby asking prices are similar, but I cannot verify enough completed sales to know the actual clearing price.

A 7% reduction would put my opening offer at EGP 60,933,600. I can provide financing proof and be flexible on completion. How can I explain that figure without antagonising the seller? I’m also reluctant to waive inspection, financing or valuation protection. What response deadline and deposit terms would be reasonable to propose?
 
Present it as a supported price, not “7% off.” Briefly point to the time on market, uncertainty around completed comparables and the updating required, then emphasize the strengths of your offer: financing evidence and flexible timing. Keep the explanation factual rather than itemising every cosmetic flaw.

I would retain inspection and financing protection. If valuation matters to the loan, keep that too. Contract and deposit wording should be checked locally before signing.
 
What does “updating” mean here—finishes and appliances, or possible roof, plumbing, electrical or structural work? That distinction could change both the offer and the inspection terms. I’d also ask whether the price has changed during those 111 days and whether the seller has a preferred completion date. Flexibility only has value if it solves their particular problem.
 
I wouldn’t read too much into 111 days by itself. A seller at this price may simply be willing to wait, and similar asking prices do not prove that 7% is justified. Before offering, press the agents involved for evidence of completed transactions that genuinely match the location, plot, condition and property type. If that evidence remains thin, say the offer reflects valuation uncertainty rather than claiming the home is definitively overpriced.
 
Be careful not to ask for the full 7% reduction and then seek another large credit for obvious updating; the seller may view that as counting the same issue twice. Price known cosmetic work into the opening figure. Reserve any later request for material defects that an inspection uncovers and that were not already apparent when you offered.
 
The appraisal gap is the part I would resolve before sounding “clean.” If the lender values it below your offer, are you prepared to add cash, renegotiate, or walk away? Put the chosen protection clearly into the offer rather than leaving it implicit. Likewise, the deposit should not become exposed while agreed financing, inspection or valuation conditions remain unresolved. The exact mechanism depends on the Cairo contract, so local legal review matters.
 
Seven percent below is not inherently antagonistic; a vague or theatrical offer is more likely to irritate. Send a concise term sheet with the exact price, financing proof, deposit proposal, completion flexibility, contingencies and a clear expiry. Allow enough time for a considered response rather than using an artificially short deadline. Also ask the agent what matters beyond price—certainty, timing or fewer post-inspection negotiations may help bridge the gap.
 
EGP 60,933,600 can look over-calculated, so I’d consider presenting it as roughly EGP 60.9 million while keeping your private ceiling to yourself. Submit once you know the likely updating cost and have decided your maximum appraisal-gap contribution. If they counter, compare the counter with that ceiling rather than letting the percentage discount become the whole negotiation.
 
Back
Top