teaAndHorizon
Homeowner
A poor choice here could mean carrying expensive ownership costs and then selling just as I need to relocate. A comparable Montreal apartment is around C$668,200, and its interest, property tax, maintenance and association dues would put the monthly outlay well above my current rent.
I am likely to stay for five to seven years. I can separate mortgage principal from the true costs, as suggested, but I am less sure how to model resale expenses, the return forgone on the deposit and the possibility of an awkward sale. Building insurance exposure, energy use, rising dues and the management workload also seem easy to underestimate.
Would a sensible compromise be to compare renting with both a normal resale case and a forced move after five years? I would be interested in a Montreal example that includes recurring costs, reserve-fund risk and the full cost of exiting.
I am likely to stay for five to seven years. I can separate mortgage principal from the true costs, as suggested, but I am less sure how to model resale expenses, the return forgone on the deposit and the possibility of an awkward sale. Building insurance exposure, energy use, rising dues and the management workload also seem easy to underestimate.
Would a sensible compromise be to compare renting with both a normal resale case and a forced move after five years? I would be interested in a Montreal example that includes recurring costs, reserve-fund risk and the full cost of exiting.