Buying near Osaka: overlooked legal and tax costs on a new-build flat

knitsAndHarbor

Property investor
Established
I’m preparing a closing-cost checklist for a new-build flat near Osaka priced at about ¥48,960,000. I already expect transfer tax, registration and legal or notary-related fees, but the first estimate is unclear about local ownership structures and recurring charges. What should I ask a licensed local professional to itemise, particularly around annual property costs, residency, future capital gains and inheritance planning?
 
Ask for two separate schedules: everything payable before or at completion, and everything that may arrive afterward. The second should distinguish taxes from building management, reserve contributions and any other annual or periodic charges. Also request the exact recipient, due date and calculation basis for every line rather than accepting one combined “fees” figure.
 
One missing fact: will you occupy the flat, rent it out or leave it unused, and will you be resident in Japan when buying? Those answers could change which tax and reporting questions matter. I’d also clarify what the agent means by “ownership structure”—the unit, any land interest, and shared parts should each be explained plainly.
 
“Notary costs” could be a loose label in the estimate, or it could refer to a separate task. Neither interpretation is safe without an itemised explanation. Following the previous point about the ownership structure, ask who handles each registration or legal step, who receives the payment and whether the figure is fixed or only an allowance. That should also reveal whether one service has been listed under two headings.
 
Capital gains may be important later, but I would not let resale tax distract from immediate cash flow. For a new-build flat, obtain the management budget and payment calendar as well as the purchase estimate. Ask whether any initial reserve contribution, advance payment or adjustment at handover sits outside the advertised closing total.
 
Add inheritance planning before deciding whose name or names go on the purchase documents. Residency, family location and the proposed ownership arrangement can interact in ways a sales estimate will not address. I’d take the draft contract and full fee sheet to a Japan-licensed adviser, then ask for written answers covering purchase, annual holding, rental if relevant, sale and inheritance as five separate scenarios.
 
Back
Top