Buying in the United Kingdom: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss? (4-bed villa)

ArloChase

Property investor
£561,600 is the price I am using for a four-bedroom London villa, and small assumptions now produce very different totals. Transfer tax, legal work and registration are in the budget, but I am less certain about expenses arising from the form of ownership or continuing after completion.

Before seeking local advice, I want to establish whether the title is freehold or leasehold, whether this would be my only property, and whether the buyer would be an individual or a company. Those points seem likely to affect the tax calculation, recurring charges and eventual capital-gains position. If overseas documents need notarising, I would also like to know where that cost normally appears.

Which of those facts should be confirmed first, and what charge most often gets omitted from an early purchase estimate?
 
Back
Top