Buying in Seoul: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

theo.reed

First-time buyer
Established
For a Seoul condo at about ₩1,918,000,000, I have already listed transfer tax, registration charges and legal or notary fees. What remains unclear is how residency, the form of ownership and any ownership restrictions could change both the upfront total and the ongoing obligations.

I want a licensed local professional to test the assumptions rather than give me one headline estimate. Which details should I provide about intended use, holding period and title structure? I would also like the capital-gains and inheritance consequences compared now, while the ownership setup can still be chosen, rather than only when the condo is eventually sold or transferred.
 
Ask for an itemized estimate that states the assumption behind every amount: who owns the condo, residency status, intended use, and expected holding period. For each line, request the calculation basis, payment date, recipient, and whether it is fixed or only an estimate. Also ask whether the quoted notary or legal fee includes registration work or merely document preparation.
 
That helps. My current sheet has a single total, so it hides exactly those assumptions. I’ll turn it into separate scenarios rather than treating “closing costs” as one answer. Should annual property charges and eventual sale taxes be requested from the same adviser, or is it better to have the legal and tax parts prepared separately and then reconciled?
 
Before that, clarify whether this is a new condo or a resale, and whether title would be held personally or through another structure. I’d also ask the adviser to confirm whether nationality, tax residency, number of properties owned, or owner-occupation changes any calculation. Without those facts, a precise-looking total could be misleading.
 
I would use separate legal and tax input, then ask both sides to comment on the same written ownership scenario. The lowest-cost structure at purchase is not automatically the best once annual charges, capital-gains treatment, residency changes, and inheritance are considered. Request a side-by-side comparison covering purchase, each year of ownership, sale, and transfer on death.
 
For the spreadsheet, add columns for amount, formula or basis, due date, payer, adviser responsible, and unresolved assumption. Keep government property charges separate from condo management fees and any building assessments. Also ask whether ₩1,918,000,000 crosses any relevant rate or valuation threshold; don’t assume a small price negotiation changes every cost proportionally.
 
I wouldn’t put projected capital-gains tax into the closing-cost total. It depends on facts that may be very different when the condo is sold, and combining it with cash needed at closing creates false precision. Keep it in a separate exit scenario, with the residency and ownership assumptions clearly dated. Inheritance planning deserves the same treatment, although it should still be discussed before title is chosen.
 
One practical final step: send the professionals a one-page fact pattern and require them to list anything they had to assume. Ask specifically who files and pays each item, what could change before completion, what recurring notices should arrive after registration, and which records must be retained for a future sale or inheritance review. That should expose gaps more reliably than asking only for a grand total.
 
Back
Top