Buying in Peru: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

asha.wilde

Landlord
The estimates I have been given treat the purchase charges as the main issue, but I am hesitant to rely on verbal totals. The property is a Lima retail unit at roughly PEN 4,688,000, and my current list includes transfer tax, registration, and notary or legal costs. It says very little about recurring liabilities or the consequences of different ownership arrangements.

I have asked a licensed Peruvian adviser for a written breakdown. Beyond identifying who pays each purchase cost, what facts should that advice confirm about restrictions on ownership, annual property charges, residency, tax on a later gain and inheritance planning? I would also like the comparison to show how the answer changes if the unit is bought personally or through an entity.
 
Ask for two separate schedules: one for costs due at purchase and another for costs that continue during ownership or arise on sale. Also have each line identify who pays it, how it is calculated and whether it changes if the buyer is an individual rather than an entity. That separation should expose items hidden by a single headline estimate.
 
One missing fact: are you buying the retail unit to operate a business, lease it out, or hold it for later resale? The intended use could affect which tax and ownership questions deserve attention. I would also ask whether residency changes the treatment of rental income or a future gain, rather than assuming the purchase structure answers everything.
 
The cheapest structure at completion may become the expensive one later. The specific concern is choosing it before the buyer’s intended use and holding period are clear.

I would give the adviser a concrete scenario—who will acquire the unit, whether it will be occupied by a business or leased, and how long it may be held—and ask for side-by-side written treatment of personal and entity ownership. The comparison should cover administration, recurring property costs, succession and a future sale, not just closing. Title, registration status and any restrictions should be verified separately by the relevant local professionals.
 
Back
Top