Buying in Morocco: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss [townhouse]

oren.lowe

Property investor
The people I’ve asked offline are split, so I’m building a proper closing-cost checklist for a Marrakech townhouse priced around MAD 11,830,000.

I have transfer tax, registration fees and notary/legal costs on the list. The less clear areas are ownership restrictions or structures, recurring property charges, and whether residency, inheritance planning or eventual capital-gains treatment should affect how the purchase is arranged.

What tends to be absent from the first estimate? I’m mainly looking for questions to put to a licensed Moroccan professional, rather than personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for an itemised estimate that separates government charges, professional fees and disbursements. Each line should show what value it is calculated from, when it becomes payable and whether it is confirmed or provisional.

Also ask what is explicitly excluded. Annual local charges, development or shared-area charges, and post-completion administration can disappear when everyone focuses only on the amount needed at signing.
 
A missing fact is how you intend to own and use it. Individual ownership or another structure? Main home, occasional use or rental? Will you be resident in Morocco, and are there other countries where you file tax returns?

Those answers may change which questions matter. I would give the adviser the whole scenario rather than asking only for a standard townhouse closing estimate.
 
For a Marrakech townhouse, I’d also make the questions property-specific. Is it an independent title or part of a managed development? Are there common areas, service charges or amounts outstanding against the property? What evidence will confirm the seller’s title and the status of any alterations?

On restrictions, ask whether your nationality and the exact classification of this property create any issue. A general answer about foreigners buying in Morocco may be too broad.
 
I would not put future capital-gains tax into the closing-cost total. It is an exit issue, and combining it with cash due now makes the estimate less useful.

That said, it should still be discussed before purchase. Ask what acquisition and improvement records should be retained, how the ownership structure could affect a later sale, and whether your residency at that future date would matter. Planning now is sensible; pretending the eventual liability can already be calculated is not.
 
I agree on keeping the totals separate, but inheritance is harder to postpone. If the planned heirs, ownership shares or recognition of estate documents could influence how the title is taken, that conversation belongs before the deed is finalised.

Oscar, I’d add a short family and residency summary to the information sent to the notary or adviser. Otherwise you may receive an accurate quote for a structure that does not suit the wider plan.
 
A practical way to organise this is to request four written sections:

1. Cash required before and at completion, including the calculation basis for each tax, registration amount and fee. 2. Costs shortly after completion, including any administrative or property-management amounts. 3. Recurring annual charges, with confirmation of who bills them and whether anything is currently unpaid. 4. Longer-term issues: rental use, residency changes, sale and inheritance.

I’d also ask who is responsible for verifying each figure. “Handled by the notary” and “included in the estimate” are not necessarily the same statement.
 
Compare estimates only after giving each professional the same facts: MAD 11,830,000 price, exact property, intended owner, use, residency position and financing method if relevant. Otherwise two totals may differ simply because they answer different scenarios.

Finally, request the expected payment dates and a list of amounts that cannot yet be fixed. That will produce a better cash-flow plan than adding a broad percentage to the purchase price.
 
Back
Top