Buying in Marrakech: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

SmallChart

Landlord
Established
Before I decide how to hold the property, I need to know whether one structure creates costs or restrictions that outweigh its advantages. The detached home in Marrakech is about MAD 9,158,000, and I am assembling a written estimate of every purchase and ongoing expense.

The obvious acquisition charges are accounted for broadly, but I am less clear about ownership limits, annual property costs and whether residency affects any of them. I also want capital-gains and inheritance questions addressed using my actual residency and proposed ownership, rather than broad assumptions.

What should a licensed local adviser itemise separately, and which facts about resale versus new build, intended use and ownership structure should I provide before asking for figures?
 
Ask for three figures rather than one headline percentage: amounts calculated from the purchase price, fixed administrative or professional charges, and costs that depend on the property’s status. Also request a separate list of items excluded from the estimate. That last list is often more revealing than the total.

I would specifically ask who confirms title, outstanding annual property charges, and whether any private development or shared-area fees apply to this detached home.
 
Is this a resale or a newly completed home, and will you occupy it, rent it, or leave it mainly vacant? Also, are you buying personally or considering another ownership structure? Those facts could change which questions matter. I would not let anyone model capital gains or inheritance until they have your residency position and the proposed ownership clearly stated.
 
I slightly disagree with putting all of that into a “closing-cost” checklist. Residency, inheritance, and a future sale are important, but combining them with cash due at completion can make the estimate harder to use.

I’d keep three sheets: purchase and registration costs; recurring property charges; and future personal tax or succession issues. Then ask the relevant Moroccan professionals to mark assumptions and uncertainties on each.
 
That separation makes sense, although ownership structure belongs on all three sheets because it may affect the purchase process, annual administration, and eventual transfer. Hana, I’d also ask for the estimate in MAD with a stated calculation basis beside every variable item—not just a rounded total—and ask which amounts could change before signing.
 
For the Marrakech property itself, add practical completion questions: must the seller clear any outstanding local or private estate charges, what evidence will show that this has happened, and are utility or shared-service accounts transferred separately? Not every detached home will have shared charges, so don’t assume them—but confirm in writing.

Finally, ask who handles each filing, when payment is due, and what receipt or registration evidence you receive afterward. That turns a loose checklist into a usable completion timetable.
 
Back
Top