Buying in Amsterdam: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

sunny_pine

Homeowner
Established
I am building a closing-cost checklist for an Amsterdam retail unit priced at about €782,000. Because this is outside my home country, I do not want to assume the process matches what I know.

I have transfer tax, notary/legal work and registration on the list. I am less clear about ownership restrictions, recurring property charges, and how residency, capital-gains treatment or inheritance planning could affect the wider cost.

What should I ask a licensed Dutch professional to include in an itemised estimate?
 
First clarify the ownership structure. Is the unit freehold, subject to a ground-lease arrangement, or part of a building with shared charges? Those distinctions can create ongoing costs that will not necessarily appear beside transfer tax and registration. I would ask for separate figures for one-time completion costs, annual charges and any payments linked to the building or land.
 
Also, are you buying personally or through an entity, and will the retail unit be occupied by your own business or a tenant? Without those facts, questions about capital gains, residency and inheritance are too broad. I would not let anyone give you one combined percentage and call it a complete estimate; ask which assumptions sit behind every line.
 
I partly disagree with treating all of this as closing cost. Annual property charges and future tax on a sale belong in the overall ownership budget, but mixing them into completion expenses makes comparison harder.

I would use three columns: payable at purchase, recurring during ownership, and triggered later by sale or inheritance. Then have the Dutch notary or tax adviser identify what depends on your residency, buyer structure and the unit’s title arrangements.
 
Back
Top