Buying a €979,800 Helsinki studio: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
The initial estimate makes this €979,800 Helsinki studio look fairly straightforward to complete, but I’m hesitant to rely on it until I understand exactly what form of ownership is being transferred.

If it is direct ownership, I need a full breakdown of completion and registration costs. If it is an interest in a local ownership structure, I want to know how that changes the purchase charges and ongoing payments. I also need questions for a Finnish professional about residency status, any ownership restrictions and cross-border inheritance planning. What commonly gets left out of the first estimate?
 
Getting the ownership form wrong could distort both the amount needed at completion and the annual budget. Before comparing charges, ask for the transaction papers to identify precisely what legal interest is being acquired and whether any liabilities or recurring building payments attach to it.

Once that is confirmed, request two separate itemised estimates: all cash required to complete the purchase, including tax and registration, and the expected yearly ownership costs. That gives you figures you can verify rather than trying to apply one checklist to two different structures.
 
I can see why the immediate purchase costs come first, but I would not stop there. A low completion estimate is not especially useful if the assumed residency or ownership structure creates a very different result when the studio is sold or inherited.

I’d ask the adviser for a written breakdown under two cases: your expected residency position and the alternative if that position changes. Each should address disposal, capital-gains treatment and inheritance across the relevant jurisdictions. Keep that analysis distinct from any agent or seller estimate aimed mainly at completing the sale.
 
Back
Top