Buying a €910,800 new-build flat in Paris: which legal and tax costs get missed?

happy_lens

Property investor
The initial estimate for a €910,800 new-build flat in Paris groups several costs together, and I am hesitant to budget from one headline total. I want the transfer tax, registration charges and notary or legal costs shown separately, along with anything affected by the ownership arrangement.

What questions should I take to a licensed local professional? I am thinking of asking for one schedule covering amounts due through completion and another for recurring ownership costs, with each item marked as fixed, estimated or dependent on my circumstances.

I have not yet settled how the flat would be owned or used. Is that the point at which residency rules, ownership restrictions, capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning should be reviewed, or can some of those questions wait until the transaction costs are clearer?
 
Ask for two schedules rather than one: every amount due before completion, and every recurring cost after completion. Also have each line marked as fixed, estimated or dependent on circumstances. People focus on the headline notary figure and can overlook building charges, property-related annual charges, insurance and later adjustments. For a new build, ask who pays each charge before and after handover.
 
The missing fact is how you expect to own and use it. Will it be in one name or shared, and will it be a home, occasional-use flat or rental? Those answers may change which residency, inheritance and capital-gains questions matter. I would get the professional to compare the relevant ownership options in writing rather than choosing a structure because it sounds familiar.
 
That helps. I haven’t settled the ownership or future-use questions, which is probably why the checklist keeps expanding. I’ll ask for scenario comparisons instead of a single estimate: individual versus shared ownership, and personal use versus possible rental later. I’ll also request separate completion and annual-cost schedules, with assumptions shown.
 
I would not let every possible future scenario delay the basic cost breakdown. Capital gains might matter much later, while the completion cash requirement is immediate. That said, inheritance planning should not simply be postponed if it could affect the ownership choice. The sensible middle ground is to identify which decisions must be made before signing and which can genuinely wait.
 
Send one written list to the notary or other licensed local adviser and ask for a line-by-line reply: taxes and registration, notary costs, amounts payable to the developer, ownership documents, expected building charges, annual property-related costs, residency assumptions, future sale treatment and inheritance consequences. Ask what is excluded, what may change before completion, and whether any payment is only provisional. Then compare that answer with the developer’s estimate rather than combining figures yourself.
 
Back
Top