Buyer’s financing failed on C$1.1m studio—relist now or reset?

SageLedger

Homeowner
The buyer’s financing failed after several weeks. The inspection did not end the deal, but I’m hesitant to return the studio to the local market without first checking whether the problem was the borrower or the valuation.

The agreed figure was around C$1,100,000. If recent completed comparables still support that level, would you relist quickly with refreshed documents and tighter finance deadlines? If they do not, would you adjust the price before considering another bid, even one backed by better financing evidence? I’m trying to decide which check should come first.
 
I would refresh the paperwork first, but do it quickly rather than letting the listing sit off-market. Be ready to state plainly that the prior buyer failed on financing, not inspection. For the next offer, compare the financing evidence, deposit and condition deadlines alongside price. A lower offer is only safer if the supporting proof and terms are genuinely stronger.
 
Was the problem simply loan approval, or did the lender’s appraisal come in below the agreed price? That distinction matters at C$1,100,000. If there was an appraisal gap, I would examine recent completed comparables before relisting at the same figure. Also, how long was the buyer given to satisfy the financing condition?
 
I would not automatically discount the studio because one buyer failed to finance it. That can reflect the buyer’s position rather than the property or asking price. Tighten the response deadline and ask for clearer financing proof, but keep reasonable inspection protection. Trying to remove every condition may shrink the buyer pool without solving the appraisal risk victorc raised.
 
The deposit terms also deserve attention, although exposure and remedies depend on the local jurisdiction and the wording of the agreement. Before relisting, establish exactly where the deposit stands and whether the old deal is fully terminated. Then prepare a short factual explanation for new buyers. Avoid vague language that makes them suspect hidden inspection findings.
 
I would make a simple offer-comparison sheet for the next round: price, completed comparables, financing proof, financing deadline, deposit, inspection terms, requested repair credits and any appraisal-gap plan. That prevents the highest number from automatically looking best. Seller motivation matters too: if timing is important, a modestly lower but well-supported offer may be preferable; otherwise, relisting near the prior figure can still be reasonable.
 
Back
Top