Buyer’s financing failed late—relist now or tighten terms first?

compass.keen

Homeowner
Established
A small update has left us deciding how quickly to put the Bangkok property back on the market. The previous buyer’s loan arrangements failed before completion, while the inspection itself did not cause the collapse. We therefore need a clear explanation for new buyers without making the property sound problematic.

Would you pause to update the sale documents and check pricing against completed comparables, or relist straight away? For the next offer, I’m also weighing headline price against financing evidence, deposit exposure and the proposed timetable. A slightly lower figure may be preferable if the buyer can demonstrate a much stronger route to completion.
 
I’d take a short pause rather than relist unchanged. Make sure the paperwork is current, decide on a clear response deadline, and give a simple factual explanation: the previous buyer could not complete financing; the inspection did not derail the sale.

A modestly lower offer may be better if its financing position, deposit terms and timetable are materially stronger. Compare the whole offer, not just the headline price.
 
What financing evidence did the buyer provide before acceptance, and was the failure about general approval or an appraisal gap? Those point to different changes. Also, did your agreement leave the deposit exposed once the deadline passed? That depends on the contract and Thai practice, but it is worth clarifying before setting the next financing deadline.
 
I’d add a caveat to my own questions: demanding proof of funds does not solve much when the buyer still needs a loan. Better evidence helps, but it is not certainty. Keep inspection protection separate from financing, and assess repair credits, appraisal risk, deposit terms and response dates together. A high offer with several escape routes can be weaker than a lower, cleaner one.
 
A higher price is not necessarily the stronger offer. My remaining concern is that better financing evidence can reduce risk without removing the chance of an appraisal issue or a missed deadline.

I’ll first update the documents and review completed comparables, then return to market with a brief factual account of why the earlier sale ended. When comparing new offers, I’ll assess the loan condition, deposit terms, appraisal exposure and response dates separately. If those terms are clean, a modestly lower offer may be the better deal; if they contain several easy exits, the extra price will carry less weight.
 
Back
Top