Buy the Manila apartment or keep renting when association dues are this high?

FinnDale

Homeowner
Established
Founding Member
I can buy a Manila apartment comparable to the one I rent for PHP 78,880,000. The problem is that mortgage payments, tax, maintenance and association dues would already be well above my current rent.

Buying would build equity, but I may move within five to seven years. I’m trying to weigh that against transaction costs, resale liquidity and the possibility of building fees rising. Now that I actually have to decide, the flexibility of renting feels more valuable than it did in a spreadsheet. How would you compare the two?
 
With a possible move in five to seven years and ownership costing substantially more each month, I would keep renting unless this particular apartment offers something you cannot reasonably rent. Equity is only one part of the payment; interest, taxes, dues, maintenance and buying or selling costs do not become equity. A short holding period also leaves less time to absorb those costs.
 
How much would you finance, and what exactly is included in the association dues? Those two details could change the comparison considerably. I’d also want to know the building’s reserve balance, upcoming major works and whether its insurance leaves meaningful exposure for individual owners. High dues are not automatically bad if they fund real obligations; high dues plus weak reserves would worry me.
 
I agree with the caution, but current rent should not be treated as fixed forever. If comparable apartments are scarce and tenant demand is strong, renting could become more expensive or less secure over that period.

Still, buying as a hedge only works if the unit can be resold without a painful discount. I’d compare recent genuinely comparable units and how long they remained available, not just asking prices.
 
That is fair, but future rent increases should be tested as a scenario rather than assumed to justify buying. I’d run flat, moderate and uncomfortable rent cases. Then do the same for association dues and a possible special contribution for major works. The unpleasant combination is rising dues while resale buyers become more reluctant because of those same fees.
 
Also model what happens if you move but cannot sell on acceptable terms. Would you become a landlord? Add vacancy, repairs, management time, leasing costs and any tax consequences that apply in the Philippines. The apartment might have solid tenant demand, but gross rent alone does not show whether holding it remotely would be tolerable. “I can rent it out later” should not rescue an otherwise weak purchase.
 
Make sure the rented and purchased apartments are truly comparable: parking, floor, orientation, noise, condition and included services can hide a lot. Energy use matters too, especially if one unit needs more cooling or has older equipment. I would ask the building administration directly about current reserves, planned work, insurance coverage and the history of dues, then put only confirmed numbers into the calculation.
 
One more useful test: assume you must leave at year five, the apartment sells for no more than you paid, and selling takes longer than hoped. Compare your remaining equity and total cash spent with the cash you would retain by renting and investing the difference. Then repeat at year seven. If buying only looks attractive with fast appreciation, low vacancy and stable dues all at once, the margin is too thin.
 
The deadline feeling is information too: ownership would reduce your flexibility at exactly the point when you expect life may change. That does not make renting universally better, but flexibility has a real value here.

Before deciding, I’d get realistic sale estimates from more than one local agent, verify the building figures, and have the transaction and tax assumptions checked locally. If renting still wins without optimistic assumptions, building equity is not enough reason to force the purchase.
 
Back
Top