Buy the Berlin apartment or keep renting when the building fees are this high?

mapsAndAtlas

First-time buyer
I’m comparing my current rental with a similar Berlin apartment priced around €1,228,000. Once I include the mortgage, purchase taxes and costs, maintenance and association dues, owning is substantially more expensive each month. It would build equity, but I may move in five to seven years.

How would you value the flexibility of renting against resale costs and the risk of rising building fees? Completed examples near Berlin would be more useful than another headline.
 
With a five-to-seven-year horizon, I would keep renting unless the apartment is unusually hard to replace or you expect to stay longer. Equity is not the same as profit: part of your monthly ownership cost disappears into interest, fees, maintenance and the costs of buying and later selling. A weak resale market at the wrong moment could matter more than modest rent increases.
 
Before deciding, what exactly is inside the association dues, and how healthy are the shared-building reserves? A high payment funding heat, insurance and planned works is different from a high payment caused by intensive maintenance or poor energy performance. I’d want the recent meeting records, budget and information on major proposed works. Those details also affect resale liquidity because the next buyer will examine the same costs.
 
I’d also challenge the idea that moving automatically makes the purchase a mistake. Keeping it as a rental could extend the ownership period, especially where tenant demand is solid. But that only works if achievable rent covers enough of the ongoing burden. Vacancy, management workload, repairs and landlord obligations could turn a seemingly flexible backup plan into an expensive second problem.
 
The cleanest next step is to model three exits at years five, six and seven. For each, separate principal repayment from unrecoverable ownership costs, then include conservative resale proceeds and selling expenses. Compare that with rent plus the return you might earn by retaining your deposit and purchase-cost money. Run a second ownership case with higher building dues or a special contribution. If buying only wins under optimistic resale and fee assumptions, flexibility has real value here.
 
Back
Top