Buy the apartment or keep renting when building fees are this high?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
I can buy a comparable Dubai apartment for around AED 3,578,000, but the mortgage, tax, maintenance and association dues would be well above my current rent. Buying would build equity, yet there is a real chance I will move within five to seven years.

How would you weigh that flexibility against purchase and eventual resale costs? I am also concerned that building fees could rise, especially if maintenance is intensive or the shared reserves are weak. Beyond the initial calculation, what tends to matter most: resale liquidity, insurance exposure, energy use, or the workload and vacancy risk if I move and rent it out?
 
With a five-to-seven-year horizon, I would not let “building equity” decide it by itself. Separate the mortgage principal from the unrecoverable costs, then compare the latter with rent. Also model a sale after five years at a flat price rather than assuming appreciation.

The missing detail is the building. What have its fees and major maintenance needs looked like, and is there enough demand for that particular apartment type if you need to sell quickly?
 
The practical problem is that becoming a landlord after moving may add work at exactly the point when you want flexibility. I would not count future tenant demand as a strong reason to buy this apartment, because vacancy, management and building charges continue to affect the numbers even in a healthy market.

Before choosing, obtain the building’s fee history, reserve position and schedule of major works. Then compare renting with two ownership cases: selling when you move and retaining the unit with a realistic vacancy and management allowance. If ownership only comes out ahead when resale and letting both go smoothly, renting may be the more valuable form of flexibility.
 
Back
Top