Buy now at 4.89%, or wait and risk more competition in Helsinki?

mapTheGate

First-time buyer
I’m considering a €1,297,000 property in Helsinki and can afford the purchase at 4.89%. Waiting could mean cheaper finance, but if lower rates bring buyers back before inventory improves, prices may rise instead.

Rather than trying to predict both rates and prices, what stress tests would you use? I’m particularly concerned about monthly affordability, rate resets, refinancing and resale risk—not looking for reassurance that the market must go one way.
 
I’d make the decision work without assuming a future refinance. Compare the current loan with a higher-rate payment at the first reset, then test a sale at a lower price after allowing for purchase, arrangement and early-repayment costs. If that scenario is uncomfortable, cheaper rates later do not solve today’s risk.

What loan-to-value and comparison period are you using, and is the loan portable? Those details may matter more than guessing how quickly Helsinki buyers return.
 
Back
Top