Buy at 7.28% now or risk lower rates pushing New York prices higher?

CarefulPorch

Property investor
I’m considering a $510,000 property in New York with financing at 7.28%. I can manage the payment now, but I’m torn between buying at today’s cost and waiting for cheaper finance, when more buyers might return before inventory improves.

What stress tests would you run instead of trying to predict both rates and prices? I’m particularly concerned about monthly affordability, refinance assumptions and resale risk. If your answer depends on rules outside the United States, please mention the market.
 
I wouldn’t make the purchase depend on an assumed refinance. First test whether the payment remains comfortable at 7.28% for your realistic ownership period, including the possibility that rates do not fall when expected. Then compare that with waiting while keeping the purchase price unchanged, and waiting with a higher price. Lower rates may increase competition, but they do not guarantee prices rise enough to cancel the financing benefit.
 
The missing facts are your down payment and expected holding period. Loan-to-value can affect both today’s offer and the options available later, while selling after a short period creates a different risk from holding long term.

Also, is 7.28% fixed for the full term or subject to a reset? Ask for total upfront lender charges, any early-repayment terms, and whether you are assuming the loan can move with you. I’d also separate owner-occupier affordability from rental yield; they answer different questions.
 
That helps. I was treating refinancing as the likely escape route rather than as an optional upside, which makes the decision look safer than it is. I’ll rerun the budget on the basis that 7.28% lasts for the whole time I own the property, then obtain comparable loan quotes showing the rate, upfront costs, loan-to-value and any early-repayment restrictions. I also need to settle the holding-period question before using resale value to justify buying now.
 
One caveat: don’t compare rates over an arbitrary short window. Use the period you could genuinely remain in the property, because arrangement fees and transaction costs can make repeated refinancing unattractive even when the headline rate falls.

I’d make a simple grid: buy now with no refinance; buy now and refinance later after all fees; wait with the same price; and wait with a higher price. Reject any scenario where the monthly payment leaves too little room for repairs or income disruption. That will not predict the market, but it will show whether the purchase requires several favorable events at once.
 
Back
Top