Buy at 6.15% or wait and risk more competition? €1,260,000 purchase

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I’ve checked that I can carry the payments on a €1,260,000 purchase at 6.15%. What remains unclear is whether proceeding now is sensible once the less obvious loan costs and exit constraints are included.

Waiting might produce a cheaper rate, but it could also mean facing more buyer competition. I’d prefer to compare those consequences without relying on a forecast. Which scenarios should I run for a rate reset, a sale and a possible refinance? Arrangement charges, early-repayment costs and portability could each change the answer, especially if the property value or my holding period differs from the optimistic case.
 
I’d test the purchase without assuming any refinance at all. Use the current rate for the relevant comparison period, then add arrangement fees and see whether the monthly cost still leaves a comfortable reserve. After that, model a higher reset rate rather than a lower one.

Also compare several loan-to-value scenarios. A price decline could affect your refinancing options even if the payment remains affordable. Falling rates do not automatically mean prices rise enough to offset the cost of waiting.
 
I agree on excluding a hoped-for refinance, but affordability alone is not enough. How long might you keep the property? If the likely holding period is short, early-repayment costs, selling costs and portability may matter more than a modest rate change.

I’d request the full loan terms, calculate the break-even point for waiting after fees, and run three cases: no refinance, refinancing later with unchanged value, and refinancing after a lower valuation. That should expose which assumption is actually driving the decision.
 
Back
Top