Buy at 6.05% or wait if lower rates may lift prices?

otis.drew

Homeowner
Established
I’m considering a $1,205,000 property in New York and can afford the purchase at a 6.05% mortgage rate. I could wait for cheaper financing, but lower rates may bring buyers back before local inventory improves and push prices higher.

What stress tests would you use rather than trying to predict both rates and prices? I’m especially concerned about monthly affordability, a future rate reset, refinancing assumptions and resale risk. Please distinguish actual United States legal or loan requirements from personal risk tolerance.
 
I’d test the purchase without assuming either a rate cut or a successful refinance. Run the monthly payment at 6.05%, then at meaningfully higher rates if any part of the loan can reset. Add lender fees or points to the comparison rather than looking only at the headline rate. If it remains comfortable while keeping cash reserves, waiting becomes a market-timing choice rather than an affordability necessity.
 
What loan-to-value would you have at closing, and how long do you realistically expect to own the property? Those two facts could change the answer. A refinance may be unattractive if the property value falls, fees are high or you sell before recovering the costs. I would compare total cash outlay over your likely ownership period, not just the first year’s payment.
 
I’m not convinced that lower rates automatically mean this particular property becomes more expensive. Inventory, the property’s condition and the number of competing buyers still matter, so I would not justify today’s price solely through fear of future competition.

Ask the lender for written scenarios covering the 6.05% loan, any reset terms, refinancing costs, early-repayment provisions and whether the mortgage is portable—without assuming portability is available. Then separately decide how much payment volatility and resale loss you could tolerate. Contract and lending requirements can vary by loan and jurisdiction, so those need confirmation from the relevant New York professionals rather than being treated as personal preferences.
 
Back
Top