Buy at 3.63% or wait for rates to fall on a €308,200 five-bed property?

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a €308,200 five-bed property that I can afford at the available 3.63% mortgage rate. I could wait for cheaper finance, but lower rates may bring more buyers back before local inventory improves and push prices up.

What stress tests would you run rather than trying to predict both rates and prices? I’m particularly concerned about monthly affordability, refinancing and resale risk, and I’m happy to have the premise challenged.
 
I wouldn’t wait solely for a lower headline rate. First calculate whether the payment remains comfortable if household costs rise and, if the rate can reset, if the mortgage becomes materially more expensive. Then compare that downside with the cost of losing this particular property. A future rate cut is no use if the purchase price rises or the right five-bed homes remain scarce.
 
What exactly does 3.63% cover: the whole mortgage term or only an initial period? Also, what loan-to-value and arrangement fees apply? Without those details, the rate alone is a weak comparison. I’d compare total cash paid over the initial deal period, including fees, rather than treating a lower percentage as automatically cheaper.
 
I’d challenge the assumption that falling rates must push prices up enough to matter. Lower rates can increase demand, but sellers may also list more properties, and the local market may not respond uniformly. The more useful question is whether this home is fairly priced now and suitable long enough to ride out a poor resale period.
 
Build three monthly budgets: the current offer, a higher payment after any rate reset, and a temporary income reduction. Include maintenance appropriate to a five-bedroom property rather than looking only at the mortgage. If the third case requires immediate refinancing or a quick sale, the purchase is probably too dependent on favourable conditions.
 
Refinancing deserves its own stress test. Assume the future rate is no better than today’s and that the property valuation leaves you at a less attractive loan-to-value than expected. Would switching still save money after a new arrangement fee and any early-repayment charge? If not, treat refinancing as an option, not part of the affordability plan.
 
Portability is worth asking about too, although the lender’s conditions in the local jurisdiction will matter. If you might move before the deal ends, find out whether the mortgage can potentially move with you and what early-repayment costs would apply if it cannot. That doesn’t remove resale risk, but it shows how expensive a change of plans could be.
 
One caution on the three-budget approach: testing every severe event at once can make any purchase look impossible. Use plausible cases and attach a time period to them. For example, distinguish between absorbing a higher payment for several months and carrying it for years. Your available cash reserve matters as much as the monthly surplus.
 
My order would be: verify the 3.63% rate period, fees, loan-to-value band, reset terms, early-repayment conditions and portability; compare total cost over the same period; then test the payment without assuming a successful refinance. Separately, look at comparable local properties and how long you realistically expect to stay. If it works without rate cuts or rapid appreciation, buying now is a defensible decision. If it only works under those assumptions, waiting is the safer answer.
 
Back
Top