Buy a Tokyo 4-bed at 7.10% now, or wait for cheaper finance?

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a Tokyo four-bedroom property priced at ¥189,000,000. I can afford the purchase at the quoted 7.10% rate, but I’m torn between buying now and waiting for cheaper finance. If rates fall before inventory improves, extra competition could simply lift prices.

What stress tests would make this decision less dependent on predicting the market? I’m particularly concerned about monthly affordability, refinancing assumptions, rate resets and resale risk. It would also help to distinguish actual Japanese legal or lender requirements from choices that come down to personal risk tolerance.
 
I would compare both options over the same expected ownership period rather than treating a lower future rate as a guaranteed saving. For buying now, include the current payment, arrangement fees and a scenario where refinancing never becomes attractive. Then test a rate reset above 7.10%. For waiting, include the cost of remaining where you are and several purchase-price outcomes. Lower rates may add buyers, but that does not mean every four-bedroom property rises equally.
 
The missing details are the loan amount and loan-to-value. Is 7.10% fixed, variable, or fixed only for an initial period? Also ask for the full fee schedule, early-repayment terms and whether the loan has any portability. A headline rate cannot be compared properly without those points. Any binding requirements should be confirmed from the Japanese loan and purchase documents with locally qualified help; your maximum comfortable payment is a separate matter.
 
I’d add a caveat to the rate-rise test: resale may be the bigger risk if the planned holding period is short. Model a sale after three, five and ten years, including transaction costs and a lower valuation. That also exposes the weakness in assuming an easy refinance—future approval may depend on the property valuation, income and lending criteria at that time. Cheaper market rates do not automatically mean this particular loan can be replaced cheaply.
 
A practical decision sheet could have three columns: buy now with no refinance, buy now and refinance later after all fees, or wait and face a higher purchase price. Use the same deposit and comparison period in each. I would reject any version that only works if rates fall or the property appreciates. Before committing, get written answers on reset dates, arrangement fees and early repayment, then decide how much monthly headroom you personally need.
 
Back
Top