Buenos Aires detached homes: is the 8.5% move real or a mix effect?

teaAndPath

Property investor
Established
If I mistake a change in listing mix for an 8.5% market rise, any pricing conclusion will be badly distorted. I’m looking at detached homes in Buenos Aires advertised from ARS 784,000,000 to ARS 1,176,000,000, with a snapshot showing about 58 days on market. Discounts also seem much wider where condition is poor.

My first thought was that tenancy duration might account for much of the variation, but that only seems relevant to homes sold with occupants. Before relying on it, I need to separate vacant and tenanted properties, condition, neighbourhood and house type. Has anyone seen recent completed transactions that can be compared with the asking-price history, including when reductions occurred and whether financing issues affected the outcome?
 
Lease length should matter mainly when the property is being sold with a tenant. If vacant homes are included, I would not make it the primary explanation. For detached houses in Villa Devoto, I’d first separate vacant from tenanted stock, then habitable homes from those needing substantial work. Otherwise condition and occupancy get bundled together.
 
Also, what exactly moved by 8.5%: initial asking prices, final asking prices after reductions, or completed sale prices? And over what period? In ARS, those are very different claims. The 58 days figure also needs a denominator—sold listings only, all active listings, or listings that later disappeared.
 
I’m less convinced by the lease theory. In Caballito, I would keep detached houses separate from PH properties even where listing descriptions make them sound comparable. Condition, seller urgency and redevelopment potential can all affect the discount. A long lease may simply be correlated with a seller who is less flexible, rather than causing the price spread.
 
That correlation point is important. Seller motivation could explain both a refusal to deliver the property vacant and a reluctance to negotiate. The clean comparison would be similar-condition detached houses within one neighbourhood: vacant, short remaining lease and long remaining lease. Without those groups, attributing the spread to lease length is premature.
 
I’d record every listing’s first asking price, latest asking price, first-listing date, condition, occupancy and eventual status. Mark withdrawals separately from completed sales; a withdrawn home is not evidence that the seller achieved the last advertised figure. Price-cut timing matters too—a reduction near day 30 tells a different story from one made after the reported 58 days.
 
Buyer financing is another missing variable. A financing-dependent offer and an offer without that dependency may produce different negotiations even for the same house. I wouldn’t assume every discount is a view on market value. Record the proposed payment structure where it is actually disclosed, but don’t guess it from the listing.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries could also move the result. “Belgrano” is too broad if one listing set includes Belgrano R and another uses a looser advertising label. I’d use the property’s location rather than the headline neighbourhood, then compare detached houses only. That may reduce the sample, but it prevents geography from masquerading as an 8.5% market move.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss lease length entirely. For a buyer wanting possession, a remaining lease can directly change the usefulness of the property and the acceptable completion timeline. But its effect should vary by buyer and cannot be read from days on market alone. The key missing fact is whether these houses are marketed mainly as occupied investments or future owner-occupied homes.
 
How is the negotiated discount calculated? From the original asking price or the price immediately before agreement? A house listed high, cut twice and then sold slightly below the final ask can look like either a large or small negotiation depending on the method. Use one definition consistently before comparing neighbourhoods.
 
A workable test would be one cohort in that ARS 784,000,000–1,176,000,000 range, fixed neighbourhood boundaries, detached homes only, and the same listing window. Separate sold, active and withdrawn properties. Then calculate the 58 days and 8.5% within each occupancy and condition group rather than across the whole set.
 
Agreed on narrowing it. I’d start with detached houses in one clearly bounded area such as Villa Devoto, because adding PH units or loosely labelled neighbouring areas creates more uncertainty than the lease question itself. If completed prices are unavailable, present the result as listing behaviour—not a Buenos Aires-wide price movement—and show original ask, reductions, days listed and final status separately.
 
Back
Top