Buenos Aires apartment: rising insurance and reserves erase the rent saving

teaAndPath

Property investor
Established
I’m deciding whether to buy a Buenos Aires apartment or keep renting. The purchase price works, but the building’s master insurance premium and reserve contributions have risen sharply. The monthly association figure now absorbs much of the apparent saving over rent.

Would you value the unit on the assumption that these costs remain high, or treat the increase as temporary? I’m also looking closely at exclusions and loss-assessment cover. I’d particularly welcome thoughts from anyone who has analysed a similar apartment.
 
I would use today’s association cost as the base case, not assume it falls. Then run a second case in which it rises again. If the purchase only beats renting when the increase proves temporary, the margin is too dependent on something you do not control. Any eventual reduction should be treated as upside.
 
Do you know whether the reserve increase is rebuilding an underfunded balance, paying for identified work, or simply becoming the normal contribution? Those lead to very different conclusions. I’d also separate the insurance component from reserves rather than treating the association figure as one expense. How much detail has the building management provided?
 
I partly disagree that a high current charge automatically ruins the maths. The purchase price may already reflect it, and a properly funded building can be preferable to one with deceptively low charges and looming work. Compare the full ownership cost with equivalent rent, but also ask whether another buyer would understand and accept the same monthly figure when you eventually sell.
 
The exclusions may matter more than the headline premium. Check how the building policy and any unit-level cover fit together, what events are excluded, and when owners can face a loss assessment. The precise effect depends on the policy wording and local arrangements, so uncertainty should remain in your valuation rather than being waved away.
 
I’d also ask what is driving ordinary building spending. Energy-intensive common areas, frequent maintenance and deferred repairs can keep contributions elevated even if insurance settles down. If available, compare recent monthly statements with planned maintenance and the reserve position. That may show whether this is one unusual adjustment or a structurally expensive building.
 
Resale liquidity is the caveat I’d focus on. Buyers can tolerate a high monthly figure when its purpose is clear, but an unpredictable one narrows the pool. Model at least three cases: current charges, another increase, and a vacancy period if you might rent the apartment out. Use realistic tenant demand rather than assuming every ownership cost can be passed through in rent.
 
One further question: who actually handles claims, contractors and reserve decisions? Even if the numbers are acceptable, weak or opaque management adds workload and uncertainty for an owner. I’d proceed only if the apartment still makes sense at current costs, survives a higher-cost scenario, and remains attractive without relying on lower premiums or immediate occupancy.
 
Back
Top