Brussels detached homes: does a 0.8% rise mean anything in this sample?

QuietGarden

Real estate agent
I would like to work out whether detached homes in this part of Brussels are genuinely moving, but the small and uneven sample is getting in the way. The properties were marketed from €909,000 to €1,363,000, with a median exposure of roughly 101 days. The calculated change is only 0.8%, and differences in condition may account for most of it.

I’m unsure how to record money that a buyer may need for major works. For a detached house, should that simply be reflected through condition and the offer rather than treated as a separate reserve? Withdrawals, relistings and seller motivation may also be distorting the picture, so comparisons with completed transactions would be particularly helpful.
 
For a detached house, I would separate the seller’s savings from the property itself. Buyers are more likely to price the roof, heating, windows and other foreseeable work into their offer than negotiate over a notional reserve. If there are shared structures or communal obligations, that is different and needs clarifying. Otherwise condition and seller motivation probably explain more than the 0.8% movement.
 
What period does the +0.8% cover, and did you keep the same neighbourhood boundaries throughout? At this price level, moving the boundary slightly could change the mix substantially. I would also want to know whether the 101 days includes withdrawn and relisted homes. Those can make marketing time look shorter and hide unsuccessful pricing.
 
I would not assume buyers simply walk. After roughly 101 days, a motivated seller may engage with a documented estimate for necessary work, particularly if buyer financing limits the cash available after purchase. The timing of any price cut matters too: 101 days at one price is not equivalent to 70 days high and 31 days after a reduction.
 
That is fair, but it reinforces why “reserves” may be the wrong variable for this sample. Unless the houses carry some shared-property arrangement, I would record visible condition, expected major works and any reduction separately. Then compare completed sales, new-listing volume and withdrawn stock within tightly drawn neighbourhoods. With a small sample, one renovated or unusually compromised house could easily produce a 0.8% shift.
 
With so few properties, another broad average may create more noise. I can see why separating condition and withdrawn stock sounds laborious, but a simple listing history should be enough: original price, reduction dates, withdrawal or completion, known final price, major works and any sign that financing disrupted the sale.

Do that within each neighbourhood before recalculating the median. It should at least distinguish normal marketing time from stale or relisted stock and make the 101-day figure more useful.
 
Back
Top