I have now run the basic rent calculation, and it raises a different question about the risk behind the yield. The 3-bed coastal home in Brisbane is priced at A$509,200 and the expected rent is A$2,566 a month, giving annual rent of A$30,792 and a gross return of about 6.0%.
That figure looks respectable until vacancy, management, routine upkeep and a meaningful repair allowance are deducted. Energy performance may also affect both running costs and tenant appeal. I have not yet pinned down council rates, owner-paid water, insurance for the exact address or any body corporate charges.
Which of those costs tends to upset a coastal-property model most? I’m less interested in preserving the 6.0% headline than in deciding whether the net cash flow leaves enough room for higher insurance, an extended vacancy or a major maintenance job.
That figure looks respectable until vacancy, management, routine upkeep and a meaningful repair allowance are deducted. Energy performance may also affect both running costs and tenant appeal. I have not yet pinned down council rates, owner-paid water, insurance for the exact address or any body corporate charges.
Which of those costs tends to upset a coastal-property model most? I’m less interested in preserving the 6.0% headline than in deciding whether the net cash flow leaves enough room for higher insurance, an extended vacancy or a major maintenance job.