Boston 2-bed at $285,000 and $1,614 rent: does the yield hold up?

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
I want the 2-bed to produce a worthwhile return without depending on appreciation, but the unknown building charges could erase an already modest margin. The price is $285,000 and expected rent is $1,614 a month, giving a headline gross yield of roughly 6.8%.

The property appears structurally sound from what I know so far. I have allowed for vacancy, management, ordinary repairs and a separate maintenance buffer, then plan to test borrowing costs rather than use leverage to improve the property-level result. Insurance, property tax, turnover and any owner-paid utilities are still uncertain.

Which of those tends to cause the larger surprise for a coastal Boston property? I’m going to request the service-charge history and a breakdown of what it covers, but I’d also like views on the net return needed to compensate for these risks.
 
To clarify, I’m trying to establish the unlevered operating return first and test financing separately. The unresolved items are the exact service-charge amount, what it includes, and whether $1,614 leaves any utilities with the owner. I don’t want a financing structure to disguise a weak property-level result.
 
Insurance and property tax would be my first concerns, particularly because “coastal” can affect the insurance questions you need to ask. Don’t estimate either from a generic percentage: verify the likely tax bill and get an insurance quotation that reflects the specific property and any relevant flood exposure. Also obtain the service-charge history and ask whether major building work is already contemplated.
 
I’d rank rent and occupancy evidence alongside the fixed costs, not behind them. At $1,614 a month, a vacancy plus cleaning, repairs or leasing costs could hurt the annual result more than a modest miss on the tax estimate.

First confirm that comparable tenants are actually paying close to $1,614 and establish whether the owner covers any utilities. Then run the operating statement with one empty month. As a quick sensitivity check, each additional $2,850 of yearly cost reduces the return on a $285,000 price by one percentage point.
 
Before choosing a target yield, build a one-year operating statement using the actual service charges and inclusions, property tax information, property-specific insurance quotes, owner-paid utilities, management, vacancy, maintenance and turnover. Then stress it with lower rent or a longer vacancy and test debt costs separately.

Personally, I’d want roughly 5% net before financing for this kind of deal. If it only reaches that figure by trimming reserves or assuming uninterrupted occupancy, the 6.8% headline yield is too thin.
 
Back
Top